Friday, February 20, 2009

We are home

Just a quick update on Michelle - we came home this afternoon. It's amazing the difference 24 hours makes. Last night she was still in a lot of pain, stayed on morphine through the evening and part of the night, and had lots of swelling. She was awake a lot and I spent much of the night holding her. This morning she was a little better, but wouldn't drink much. The 2 criteria for her coming home today were that she had to be off the morphine and she had to be drinking well. Shortly after lunch she started drinking and even ate a little applesauce. She is happy to be home. She is still far from 100%, but doing very well.

They did not put her in the arm restraints. I was very glad for this, although it means mom has to be all the more vigilant to keep her hands out of her mouth. I can tell the hardest part of all this will be the food restrictions. As we walked into the kitchen this evening she did the sign for "more" - meaning, give me a snack. She did have a Pediasure tonight and seemed to like those.

She is quite the fighter! Normally she is such a sweet little girl, and almost always very agreeable, but when she is mad, look out! She let us know yesterday she was not happy about the whole situation. Today when the resident came in to release her from the hospital, she was sitting on a blanket playing, and he talked to her for a moment and then asked if she could "give him five". She gave it to him pretty hard - he said he detected some attitude with that gratitude!

Thanks for all your prayers - please keep them coming!

4 comments:

Chris P-M said...

Bill and Midge, I'm keeping little Michelle in my thoughts and prayers! Hoping for a quick and successful recovery :)

Chris

Football and Fried Rice said...

Praise God for the lack of arm restraints! Bill was so upset about that - me, too!!

Please keep us posted - I do hope you will consider continuing to blog, even if once a week or so to keep in touch with family, and of course, friends & China sisters & brothers who were adopted the same time as Michelle!!

Sometimes blogging can be a pain> But I know that I cherish re-reading posts from a year ago to see my own transparency & walk with God! PLUS, you can make your blog into a book at blurb.com for a reasonable price!

Blessings,
Sara & Bill

Heather said...

So glad she is home and recovering! I love the ink smear. I can only imagine how hard the food issue will be. Lillian would have a real time with that too. I'll keep praying!
-Heather

Unknown said...

Oh wonderful! Thank goodness you are home!! It is all up hill from here guys! you did it! I am so proud of all of you....Michelle has such a strong family that she will grow up in! Amazing how God works - AMAZING! Ahhhhhh.....welcome home Cole family ....welcome home!! :) And darn it...you better keep blogging...I forgot that you may quit...you won't right...you are addicted...right/?!!?!?! ha ha hah a NO pressure really....but if you quit....sara and I will hunt you down!! :)

About Us