Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Survival Mode

I remember just before our adoption trip to get Michelle, we had the chance to have a telephone conference with Josh & Lily, the founders of CCAI. They had lots of good advice, but the thing I remember most was Josh reminding all of us that this trip was about one thing only, adopting our child and bringing him or her home safely. He said we would probably all have some ups and downs, and all we had to do was survive the trip. We had a really good trip, and for the most part I enjoyed our time in China, but there were several times when things weren't great that I remembered his words, all I had to do was survive.

So, that's kind of where we are now in Michelle's recovery. The last couple of days have been a little rough. Michelle hasn't slept much, and it's hard to tell if she is really in pain or if we are revisiting the night terrors. Our biggest challenge has been keeping her hydrated. She hasn't wanted to drink, so yesterday I spent most of the day walking around with a cup of water and a medicine syringe. She won't drink water out of a cup, but she will let me squirt a teaspoon at a time into her sore little mouth, so that's what we have to do.

While it's not easy, I do think things are slowly progressing the way they should. I am so grateful that so far she seems to be improving a little each day. I haven't seen any openings or leaking through her nose, so that seems to indicate healing. Yeah! She also seems to have a little more energy - last night she was laughing and playing with her brothers. I just have to keep my eyes focused on the goal - a healthy, whole mouth for Michelle.

3 comments:

Heather said...

I know how relieved you are (if even gross) about Michelle's BM. We too celebrated after Lily's hospital stay because it had been too many days!

I am so sorry that the recovery is so difficult. Thankfully Lily is running around being her normal self and isn't on food restrictions. We would have a very different little girl otherwise.

I will keep praying for that sweet mouth. Just an idea about keeping everyone in on the life of Michelle- we send those who have so impacted Lillian's life a monthly update email. It could be less frequently if necessary. We have so many who helped her get where she is (even those who donated for her initial open heart surgery that we are in contact with).
-Heather

Football and Fried Rice said...

Uggh. I am sorry that it is so tough right now!! I, myself, have had many days of mere survival! (especially the days when I wake up & realize that we are out of coffee??) I know, that with the faithful God we serve, you will look back on this time as molding & shaping of your character & the wonderful sacrifice you have made so that Michelle can be healed! God is good!!

Thank you for considering keeping the blog - YES, we'd love to hear updates on ALL your kiddos :) This is such a crazy season of life and it so encouraging to look back on the days & weeks & months that past & see that, YES, God IS still doing a work in us!!

Get Well, Soon, Michelle - thinking of you in COLORADO!

Hugs,
Sara & family!

Unknown said...

Oh sweet little Michelle - hang in there sweet heart! Today is one day closer to being free of pain! We are praying for you and sending as much love as we have in us!! You are all loved so much! KEep up the good work mom! You are an angel!!

About Us