Thursday, February 5, 2009

More thought about Walter Reed

Bill did a great job of posting yesterday about our visit to Walter Reed and Michelle's upcoming surgery. Here are just a few more random thoughts from me. (Midge)

*We woke up at 5:00 a.m. so we could leave by 6:00 a.m. to be at our appointment on time at 7:30 a.m. Army Doc's are wonderful but why must everything be done so early in the morning?

*We woke at 5:00, and my daughter Lizzy woke at 5:05a.m. to begin her bout with the stomach flu. I was really torn about leaving her or not going with Michelle. In the end we decided to take 2 cars and check in with Elizabeth periodically. It was the right decision, but a tough one to make. I think having 4 kids means often being pulled in several directions at once.

*Doing hearing testing on a 2 year old is like trying to herd cats!

*In one of the waiting rooms, we noticed they had a foam mat with interconnecting pieces. They had letters and numbers. Bill reminded me it was exactly like what we saw in Michelle's orphanage for the kids to nap on. Almost immediately after we spotted them, Michelle did too! She got really excited, and started laying down and saying "night-night". Then she wanted me to come lay down beside her and "take a nap". She seemed so excited to see something that reminded us of her past, and it was amazing how she communicated that to us.

*I'm so grateful Michelle now has a bed to nap in every day!

*The timing of her surgery could not be more perfect for our family. Bill is traveling a lot starting in March, and my mom is already going to be up here the week before, so she will just stay to help us with the other kids. Isn't God so good to put all these little details together for us?!!

*I saw a LOT of very young soldiers walking around the hallways on artificial limbs yesterday. It amazed me to see how far the technology has come in such a short time. Most of these guys were walking with a very normal gait. If they weren't wearing shorts I would have not realized they were missing legs. I'm so glad we live in this day and age when there are so many medical advances.

*It broke my heart to realize most of these guys are not much older than my kids. Please pray for our soldiers and their families!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Oh Midge- how you do 4 children is amazing to me! Jason still talks about how you went to all three rooms in China making sure all bags were packed correctly.

I've learned with 3 to sleep little, hold babies lots, and PRAY always! This couldn't be a happier time in our life even if it is very tiring!

Your story of the nap mats makes my heart hurt for our daughters, who still must feel so confused even though they now have more love than they can possibly know what to do with!
-Heather

Football and Fried Rice said...

So good to have an update on Michelle! I am sorry that you were torn between 2 kids on one day. Sigh. You are so right, when they outnumber you, situations arise! It sounds like a great treatment plan is in place! Please continue to update with prayer requests. We will be sure to be praying on 2/19. Hugs, Sara

About Us