Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Great Wall


Today was our second day touring Beijing. It was clear and sunny today, but really cold. We started the day with a tour of a Jade factory, then we were off to the Great Wall. It was really impressive - pictures don't do it justice. I was so proud of all 3 of my kids - they made it, along with Dad, all the way to the top. (I'm sure it was over 500 steps.) Some of the steps were very steep. They were the only kids who went all the way to the top. Mom didn't even try to make it. I said I was being polite and staying with Grammy, but the truth is there's no way I could have gone to the top!

After the Great Wall we had a very unusual lunch - traditional Chinese, fish heads and all! We toured a cloisonne factory, did a little more shopping, and then we went by the Olympic Village and took a few pictures. We finished the day at an acrobatic show. It was a very busy day.

We are really tired, but each day is getting a little better. The teens and Grammy seem to be sleeping o.k., but Bill, Josh and I are still waking up about 3:30 a.m. each morning. As anxious as I am to get Michelle, I'm glad we've had a few days to try to reset our internal clocks.

A few impressions so far about China and Beijing - first, I expected to really miss out on the Christmas Season, but we see Santa and Christmas trees everywhere we go. We also hear Christmas carols (real ones) in the lobby of our hotel. Beijing is a huge city - it has over 15 million people, but it doesn't feel crowded like it is in New York City. I think that is partly because it is also huge area wise as well. The driving situation is interesting - lots of pedestrians and bikes, and somehow they all manage to share the road, although there were a few times today I thought we were going to hit someone. The people are very warm and friendly. They laugh at my few Chinese phrases, but it's good natured. The male population seems very taken with my lovely blond haired/blue eyed daughter. Several of them either took pictures of her or made comments. Lastly, the shopping experience is quite different from what I am used to in the U. S. When we are out on the streets, we get swarmed by vendors selling all kinds of tourist stuff, and they don't seem to value "personal space" the way we do in the U.S. When we go to the factories and shops, the sales people can be quite pushy as well. They follow you around the store, constantly talking to you, and they expect you to bargain. When I told a lady at the Jade factory something was too expensive, she took is as my beginning to bargain with her, but I really meant I didn't want it and knew she would never come down to my price range.

Tomorrow we are flying to Zhengzhou. There are 8 families going there, and about 8 other families going to different provinces. It's fun to hear the different stories and hear about the children soon to be adopted. One family here has 6 grown children, the youngest is 23, and they are coming over to adopt a 20 month old. Another young family with a 3 year old is here to adopt a girl who is 11 years old, almost 12 years old. I can't wait to meet all these children and see them become families.

3 comments:

Catherine said...

Bill, Midge, and family,

It is fun to read your posts and see Beijing again through your eyes! Congratulations to everyone who climbed the Great Wall! You must be getting really excited about being in Henan. We will continue to check your blog daily!

:) Cath and Pete

Mary Rider said...

Cole Family,
So happy to hear of your adventures in China. Good work climbing the wall. Can't wait to see a picture of your complete family!! Keeping you in our prayers. God bless and safe journeys.

Mary and Mark

Heather said...

I can't wait for you all to meet Michelle. I am glad you have been enjoying your Beijing experience. My husband talks so kindly about your family! I can't wait to see pictures of all the babies!!!
-Heather
waiting at home for Lillian

About Us