Saturday, December 6, 2008

100 Wishes Quilt

When a baby is expected in China, the friends and family give swatches of material along with their good wishes so the mom can make a quilt. The quilt is sewn together with red thread, as a symbol of the connection between those destined to be together.


We thought this was a wonderful tradition, so when we received our referral in August we began asking our friends and family to send their scraps of material along with their prayers and wishes for Michelle. I do not sew, but my mom loves to quilt. I asked her to put the pieces together, and I was amazed at the beautiful finished product. On the front it's my mom's creation - a little girl holding flowers, and it says "Friends are the flowers of life". On the back are all the lovely "wishes" from our friends and family.



My mom did such a beautiful job on this - she even added her own symbolism. The quilt batting (inside) is bamboo, so she will always feel a connection with the land of her birth. The red thread ties show she is already connected with all the important people of her life, that though it may twist or bend, it will never break. Thank you to everyone who contributed a piece of fabric, and thank you mom for stitching it together with so much love.

I wanted Michelle to know someday how many people loved her and prayed for her before she ever came to us. I know she will feel so loved wrapped in this beautiful quilt.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is truly beautiful! It looks beautiful and the love that it holds is beyond words! What a great family you are and I know we adoptive parents hate to hear this, because in the end...we feel so blessed and so "lucky" beyond words...but I will say it because it is true!!!...HOW LUCKY THIS LITTLE GIRL IS TO HAVE YOU!

Football and Fried Rice said...

Your quilt is beautiful! Thanks for the reminder, I am having a baby shower today & wanted to take our quilt to show everyone! What a fun labor of love that was, huh? And something to treasure forever!

I am so excited to meet your family & your Michelle. I am sure that her & Mya will be swapping bubbles and magna doodles at the Crown Plaza in Zhenhzhou! I have heard there is quite a bit of downtime and playing in the hotel hallways is the "hot spot"...oh boy!!! I guess with 4 kids, you will be bringing your swim suits! LOL!!

Happy Packing!

About Us