Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year

As I was walking this morning, I couldn't help but notice the headline for the local newspaper read, "Thank God it's over!" (referring to 2008). I know for many people this was probably a tough year - finances, deployements, loss of loved ones. But, I have to say, I will always remember 2008 as the year God richly poured out His blessings on the Cole family.

We began the year praying for 3 specific things ~ stability for our military family, an affordable house that met our family's needs, and a new family member from China. God answered all 3 of these requests with a Yes that blew us away.

Eleven moves in nineteen years was beginning to take a toll on our family, and with both of our older kids in high school, we so longed for the chance to get them through high school in one place. In April of this year, we found out Bill would have a good follow on assignment at Ft. Belvoir, getting both of our kids through their high school years.

In July we closed on a house - the same house we had been renting for the past 2 years. We looked at so many houses in this area and found nothing we liked as much as this one. While we were sad for our landlords that they were divorcing, we were so glad for our family to get to stay in this home and neighborhood that we liked so much.

And then in August, when we saw Michelle's referral photo, we knew she was meant to be ours. Bringing her home on Christmas was just icing on the cake! She is more wonderful than we could have ever imagined and so meant to be a part of our family.

So, I want to say thank you to my Abba God, who loves to give good gifts to His children. We are blessed beyond measure.

I wish you all a wonderful 2009!

5 comments:

Willis said...

Sweet post. God loves a thankful heart!

Heather

High Plains Drifters said...

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

We echo your sentiments on 2008 to a T.

And 2009's already off to a crazy start... going to be a wild ride!

Cheers!

Football and Fried Rice said...

Praise the Lord!!! I love how HE is so specific too & how He loves to honor the desires of our heart!!!!

MightyMouse said...

Wow,
reading this gave me chills!
You are so richly blessed! Michelle is so beautiful :)

Lizzy

Anonymous said...

Midge-
Hi! I am Koryn from Breakaway at BCC. Your daughter knows my daughter Kelli. I am so happy you have received the desire of your hearts with Michelle's homecoming! I can't wait to see her! I will also remember 2008 for many things, the best and the worst of times, but totally the mercy and goodness of God shown as I've never known before. I hope you'll post more photos soon! We have moved 13 times in 23 years in the military, 6 states, 3 overseas tours, and so I totally understand your heart's desire in keeping teens stable during h.s. We are so grateful God has allowed this for us as well. Now, with two in college here in Va. I am happy to stay put. BCC is a huge blessing in our lives and the tool God is using to bless and care for our family through my breast cancer journey. I hope to make it to Breakaway next Tuesday! I want to meet you in person - love, Koryn

About Us