Tuesday, January 6, 2009

First (of many) visits to the Dr.

We went to the pediatrician's this morning. This was the first time I had seen Dr. West, and she was incredible! Very sweet with Michelle, very thorough, very knowledgeable about "orphan issues". We had sent her an email describing Michelle's medical history and some of our concerns, but she never received it. However, she spend a lot of time examining her and talking with us. She is planning to look over the information we had from the orphanage, and then order lots of tests and referrals. We are so grateful to be in what seems to be very good hands.

Michelle was a little wary of her at first, then really started squirming when she looked at her ears. When she tried to look into her mouth to examine her cleft palate, Michelle clamped her mouth shut tight! Oh boy, I think we are in for a fun few weeks!

On the home front, she is doing so great! Every day she seems to pick up a new English word - she can already say Uh-Oh, bye-bye, light, night-night, Ma-ma, Joshua (although this sounds more like O-wuh) and the phrase "I don't know!" (with a funny little expression on her face and her hands turned upwards). She seems to understand a lot as well, and is responding well to her name.

She is very sweet and loves to play with us. She lets me hold her a lot and loves to have her Daddy hold her now, as well as her siblings. The one things she still won't do is give me kisses. She gives ALL her dolls and stuffed animals kisses, but is very tight lipped when it comes to Mommy. Yesterday I asked her for a kiss, and she kissed her teddy bear. When I touched my cheek and said, "Give Mommy a kiss" she leaned her bear over and let him kiss me on the cheek, even making the kissy sound. Oh well, I know it will be even sweeter when she finally gives it up for Mom. She will at least say "Wo ai ni" (I love you in Chinese.)

I can't even begin to tell you how glad I am to have this sweet child home!

4 comments:

Eric said...

Sorry to hear that you are awaiting your first kiss although Leah kisses with her teeth so be careful what you wish for -- LOL!

It's great to hear that Michelle has finally allowed Bill to pick her up though. I know how hard it was for me when Jeremy refused my help early on -- didn't help the bonding thing and made me feel bad to leave Angela with all the work.

Angela and Leah paid a visit to our pediatrician yesterday too -- maybe I'll have to get her to post Leah's results as well. Thanks for the update!

Ellen said...

Michelle looks great and the language progress is fantastic! I'm loving the picture of Michelle with Bill! Woo-hoo!!

Unknown said...

I blieve that Michelle is making you work for that Kiss because she has the highest hopes for you in her life! She loves you so much and has a bit of fear that something this great may not - or can it...LAST!! :) This time that it takes to prove to her that you are forever - is a priceless time! And when she comes to you for a kiss...it will be more than a sound and peck! It will mean that not only does she love you (that she already does) but she knows that you love her too! And from then on...it will be a lifetime of love and friendship!! I can see the love in that little ladies eyes! She is dear! Keep the stories and updates coming! I love to read them!

Football and Fried Rice said...

That is huge that she has her teddy kiss you! When I ask Mya for a kiss, she turns her cheek towards me. Hmmff. She grabs Bill's face with both hands & kisses HIM on the lips..

About Us