Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Life - and smelling the flowers

Today we had our 2nd session with the speech therapist. I really like her therapist, Ashley. This past week we have been working on B's, D's and P's. I hear some progress, especially with the B's. We have also been working on blowing things - mostly bubbles, to strengthen those lip muscles. Her "homework" is a lot more fun than the other kids' homework! Michelle did pretty well for about the first 10 minutes, but after that she wasn't so cooperative. At least I am picking up a lot of cues and things to work with her during the week.

She is trying new words every day. It's amazing to see all these connections being made in her little brain. Just a few minutes ago she picked up her pretend cell phone and said pretty clearly, "Da-Da, come home!"

She is fascinated with all the spring flowers. Flower has become one of her favorite words, and whenever we are out she is on the lookout for flowers. We also had fun this past weekend taking her to the petstore. She loves the "meow's". (She can't say cat, but she can certainly make their sound.) Unfortunately, we can't have a "meow" since Mommy and Billy are allergic to them. But we have fun visiting them at Petco!

She hasn't been sleeping well lately. For a while the night terrors seemed to be getting worse, but I think the past few nights have just been a cold keeping her awake. (It's hard to tell if it's a cold or allergies?) She has been up several times a night, which makes both of us tired. Oh well, as my friend Julie so wisely said, we are making up for missing out on those little baby days.

Life is busy and hectic, but good. I have never felt more stretched than I do now, trying to manage our busy household and teaching. But I wouldn't have it any other way. My biggest challenge is to try and enjoy each day, even with the stress of life. I know this time with Michelle will fly by - I've already seen it with my older kids. We are trying to take a little time each day just to smell the flowers!

6 comments:

Heather said...

Happy Spring! I love ready updates and seeing how everyone is doing, thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Funny speech development story here. Whenever I point at the cat and say "kitty," I'm usually whispering, so as not to scare the cat. So now Zebb says "kitty" in this lispy, whispery voice. On the other hand, he hears me yelling at the dogs all of the time. So when he says "dog," he scowls up his face and screams it. Its funny what a mimic he is, and funny how little self-awareness I have!

Football and Fried Rice said...

What a great reminder to take the time to smell the flowers :)

Great to hear how good Michelle is doing - She is such a sweetheart and working so hard! I am praying for her night terrors and sleeping; sweet girl!

Heather said...

BIG hugs! I feel those same feelings! I sense even more than your words say. I'm tired often but love life with our 3.

Just the other day Jason reminded me of life with one and our thoughts of three not being too difficult. WOW were we wrong. He said how difficult but how full of BLESSING we are! 3 blessings!

So I'm with you when you stop to smell the flowers. Little or big times together are all she wants right now. Lily just loves to stand at my feet while I do any household chore. As long as she is near me-she knows she is loved! Michelle is feeling those same great vibes I am certain!
-Heather

Unknown said...

What a nice blog! Loved reading your heart! The one thing I will say is that Josh has NO night terrors untill he has a cold...so I read up on it. It is true...when a child is too warm, or congested...they spend too much time in the pre-rem sleep and that is the place where dreams are vivid and memorable. It is no wonder that they are so scared to stay there! I took to using a snot sucker? Yeah...like for a baby....to help josh get "un-congested" enough to fall into real sleep and it is amazing how well it is working! Sorry for being so wordy.. ha ha ha....not sure if this will work for Michelle...but I wanted you to know what I read!!! :) And that aside...I love that she loves flowers. That makes me smile! She is truly a princess!! I'm feeling so stretched with ya girl...I go from moment to moment...seize the day....drink a bottle of wine...no telling what strategy will win!! Love you guys!!!

Blogging2china said...

Hi Bill and Midge,

Wanted to drop in and catch up on your journey. I am glad you are all adjusting well. I have talked to Jane many times about you guys. Isn't it amazing that in such a big world you can find so many common threads. Thank you for your post while we were in China, I can not remember whether I replied...it was such a crazy time, but support from home was awfully nice. Michelle sure is a cutie, congrats! Shay Lee

About Us