Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Our Adoption Timeline

Midge and I had discussed adoption several times during our marriage. We were living in Germany in the mid 1990's when the orphanages in Romania opened up to the world. We considered adopting a child then, but our first two biological children were still in diapers and we didn't think we could care for another child at that point in our lives.
In April 2005 we were living in New Jersey and attended a Steven Curtis Chapman concert in New York. He always advocates for adoption during his concerts, and Midge and I talked about it for a while on our drive home. We hemmed and hawwed and finally just stopped talking about it with the issue unresolved. I think that God was beginning to soften our hearts at that time.
In the summer of 2006 we were moving (again) to Virginia. While our household goods were being packed we spent a few nights in a friend's house. Our friends had received a flyer in the mail from Bethany Christian Services about orphans in the U.S. and around the world that needed parents. I felt a real calling and brought up the subject again with Midge, but she didn't want to discuss it. Considering that we were in the middle of another chaotic move, my timing could have been better. I was disappointed, but I let the subject drop.
Later that Fall after we had moved to Virginia and the boxes were unpacked, Midge approached me after work one day and asked me if I had been serious that summer when I suggested adopting. I was surprised, but told her yes, I had been serious. We decided to start praying about it.

Serious discussions and prayers about adoption - November 2006
Decision to adopt - December 2006
Mailed application to CCAI - January 2007
Homestudy and paper chase - January-June 2007
Log In Date (LID) - June 26, 2007
Waiting Child Medical Checklist Complete (MCC) - October 23, 2007
Referral! - August 8, 2008
Pre-Approval (PA) - August 26, 2008
Letter of Accptance (LOA) - October 31, 2008
Travel Approval (TA) - waiting
Consular Appointment (CA) - waiting

No comments:

About Us